Events in History
- Apr 1 Nunavut is established as a Canadian territory carved out of the eastern part of the Northwest Territories.
Lockerbie Bombing of Pan Am Flight 103
Apr 5 Two Libyans suspected of bringing down Pan Am flight 103 in 1988 are handed over for eventual trial in the Netherlands
- Apr 7 The World Trade Organization rules in favor of the United States in its long-running trade dispute with the European Union over bananas
- Apr 8 Haryana Gana Parishad, a political party in the Indian state of Haryana, merges with the Indian National Congress.
- Apr 9 Ibrahim Baré Maïnassara, President of Niger, is assassinated at the airport in Niamey, Niger
Event of Interest
Apr 12 US President Bill Clinton is cited for contempt of court for giving "intentionally false statements" in a sexual harassment civil lawsuit.
- Apr 14 A severe hailstorm strikes Sydney, Australia causing A$1.7 billion in insured damages, the most costly natural disaster in Australian history
- Apr 14 NATO mistakenly bombs a convoy of ethnic Albanian refugees - Yugoslav officials say 75 people are killed
- Apr 19 German Reichstag reopens with new glass dome by architect Norman Foster
- Apr 19 The German Bundestag returns to Berlin.
- Apr 20 Columbine High School massacre: Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold kill 13 people and injure 24 others before committing suicide at Columbine High School, Colorado
- Apr 22 Luis Garavito [The Beast, Tribilín], Colombian serial killer described as "the world's worst serial killer" (138-300+ victims) apprehended
- Apr 29 Avala TV Tower near Belgrade is destroyed in NATO bombing of Yugoslavia
- Apr 30 Cambodia joins the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) bringing the total members to 10
Deaths in History
- Apr 5 Paul David, French Canadian cardiologist (b. 1919)
- Apr 9 Ibrahim Baré Maïnassara, Niger politician and general, assassinated at 49
- Apr 10 Heinz Fraenkel-Conrat, German-born biochemist (b. 1910)
- Apr 13 Willi Stoph, German politician (Prime Minister of German Democratic Republic, 1964-73), dies at 84
- Apr 15 Harvey Postlethwaite, British engineer & racing car designer, dies at 55
- Apr 16 Laurence Kirwan, British archaeologist (Sudan and Egyptian Nubia), dies at 91
- Apr 16 Nicholas Cayzer, British shipping magnate (British and Commonwealth Shipping), dies at 89
- Apr 18 Gian-Carlo Rota, Italian-born American mathematician & philosopher, dies at 66
- Apr 19 David Sanes, US Navy employee
- Apr 19 Hermine Braunsteiner, Nazi war criminal and female camp guard at Ravensbrück and Majdanek concentration camps, dies at 79
- Apr 20 Eric Harris, American mass murderer (Columbine High School shooter), dies at 18
- Apr 20 Victims and shooters of the Columbine High School massacre
- Apr 22 Chan Canasta, Polish-born magician & mindreader, dies at 79
Arthur Leonard Schawlow (1921-1999)
Apr 28 American physicist who shared the 1981 Nobel Prize in Physics for his pioneering work with lasers, dies of leukemia at 77