Events in History
- Sep 5 The Haverstraw-Ossining Ferry makes its maiden voyage.
- Sep 11 Activists protest against the World Economic Forum meeting in Melbourne, Australia.
- Sep 12 Holland (the Netherlands) passes law allowing same-gender marriage, adoption and divorce.
- Sep 20 Patent on RSA cryptograph algorithm ends
- Sep 20 The British MI6 Secret Intelligence Service building is attacked by a Russian-built Mark 22 anti-tank missile.
- Sep 26 Anti-globalization protests in Prague (some 20,000 protesters) turned violent during the IMF and World Bank summits.
- Sep 26 M/S Express Samina sinks off Paros in the Agean sea killing 80 passengers.
Birthdays in History
Weddings in History
Sep 3 American feminist and journalist Gloria Steinem (66) weds environmentalist David Bale (59) in Adair County, Oklahoma
Deaths in History
- Sep 6 Abdul Haris Nasution, Indonesian army general, dies at 81
- Sep 6 Breanna Lynn Bartlett-Stewart, first Kleihauer-Betke stillbirth (b. 2000)
- Sep 9 Julian Critchley, British journalist and politician, dies at 69
- Sep 10 Zaib-un-Nissa Hamidullah, Pakistani journalist and writer. (b. 1921)
- Sep 14 Frederick Erroll, 1st Baron Erroll of Hale, British Conservative politician, dies at 86
- Sep 14 Jerzy Giedroyc, Polish writer and political activist, dies at 94
- Sep 16 Georgiy Gongadze, Ukrainian journalist (b. 1969)
- Sep 19 Anthony Robert Klitz, British artist (b. 1917)
- Sep 20 Dorothy Emmet, English philosopher, dies at 95
- Sep 20 Gherman Titov, cosmonaut (b. 1935)
- Sep 21 Bryan Smith, Man who ran over Stephen King (b. 1957)
- Sep 22 Saburo Sakai, Japanese aviator and flying ace of the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II, dies at 84
- Sep 22 Yehuda Amichai, Israeli poet (Now and in Other Days), dies at 76
- Sep 23 Carl Rowan, American syndicated journalist (Chicago Sun-Times, Washington bureau), and diplomat, dies of diabetes related heart and kidney issues at 75
- Sep 25 R. S. Thomas, Welsh poet, dies at 87
Pierre Trudeau (1919-2000)
Sep 28 15th Canadian Prime Minister (Liberal: 1968-79, 1980-84), dies of Parkinson's disease and prostate cancer at 80