Events in History
- Mar 1 Mohammed Bahr al-Uloum becomes President of Iraq.
Murder of Interest
Mar 1 Terry Nichols is convicted of state murder charges and being an accomplice to Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh
- Mar 2 Rosetta space probe is launched by the European Space Agency to study comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko with Philae lander module aboard
- Mar 2 Voters in the U.S. state of Georgia vote on a referendum concerning its Confederacy-derived flag.
- Mar 2 War in Iraq: Al Qaeda carries out the Ashoura Massacre in Iraq, killing 170 and wounding over 500
- Mar 7 New Democracy wins the national elections in Greece.
- Mar 8 A new constitution is signed by Iraq's Governing Council after the invasion and occupation by American-led forces
- Mar 11 Terrorists explode simultaneous bombs on Madrid's rail network ripping through a commuter train and rocking three stations, killing 190
- Mar 12 Music work "I La Galigo" by Richard Wilson debuts in Singapore, based on Bugis creation myth from South Sulawesi (world's most voluminous literary work)
- Mar 12 Roh Moo-hyun, President of South Korea, is impeached by its national assembly for the first time in the nation's history.
- Mar 15 Announcement of the discovery of 90377 Sedna, the farthest natural object in the Solar system so far observed
- Mar 17 Unrest in Kosovo results in more than 22 killed, 200 wounded, and the destruction of 35 Serb Orthodox shrines in Kosovo and two mosques in Belgrade and Nis.
- Mar 19 A Swedish DC-3 shot down by a Russian MiG-15 in the 1950s is finally recovered after years of work. The remains of the crew are left in place, pending further investigations.
- Mar 19 A truck and a bus crash head-on in Äänekoski, Finland. 24 people are killed and 13 injured.
- Mar 19 Taiwanese president Chen Shui-bian is shot just before the country's presidential election on March 20.
Event of Interest
Mar 20 Stephen Harper wins the leadership of the newly created Conservative Party of Canada, becoming the party's first leader.
- Mar 21 In Malaysia, the 11th Federal and State elections are held, returning the ruling coalition Barisan Nasional to power with an increased majority
- Mar 22 Ahmed Yassin, co-founder and leader of the Palestinian Sunni Islamist militant group Hamas, and bodyguards killed in the Gaza Strip by Israeli Air Force AH-64 Apache fired Hellfire missiles
- Mar 23 Andhra Pradesh Federation of Trade Unions holds its first conference in Hyderabad, India
- Mar 27 HMS Scylla, a decommissioned Leander class frigate, is sunk as an artificial reef off Cornwall, the first of its kind in Europe.
- Mar 29 Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia join NATO as full members
- Mar 29 The Republic of Ireland becomes the first country in the world to ban smoking in all work places, including bars and restaurants
- Mar 31 In Fallujah, Iraq, 4 American private military contractors working for Blackwater USA, are killed and their bodies mutilated after being ambushed
Birthdays in History
- Mar 21 Count Claus-Casimir of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg
Deaths in History
- Mar 4 George Pake, American physicist (b. 1924)
- Mar 4 Stephen Sprouse, American fashion designer (b. 1953)
- Mar 8 Abu Abbas [Muhammad Zaidan], Palestinian founder of the Palestine Liberation Front, dies in American custody of allegedly natural causes at 55
- Mar 9 Dr. Gerald Deskin, Ph.D., clinical child psychologist (b. 1929)
- Mar 13 Franz König, Austrian Catholic Archbishop of Vienna (b. 1905)
- Mar 15 John Pople, English chemist (Nobel Prize 1998), dies at 78
- Mar 15 William "Bill" Pickering, New Zealand-born space scientist at NASA, dies at 93
- Mar 18 Harrison McCain, Canadian businessman (McCain Foods Limited), dies of kidney failure at 76
- Mar 19 Mitchell Sharp, Canadian politician (b. 1911)
- Mar 20 Juliana, Queen of the Netherlands (1948-80), dies at 94
- Mar 20 Pierre Sévigny, Canadian military officer and politician, dies at 86
- Mar 22 Ahmed Yassin, Palestinian co-founder of Hamas (b. ca. 1937)
- Mar 23 Rupert Hamer, Australian politician (b. 1916)
- Mar 24 Max Dendermonde [Hendrik Hazelhoff], Dutch literary, dies at 84
- Mar 28 Art James, American game show host (b. 1929)
- Mar 30 Frances Schreuder, American socialite convicted of murder, dies at 65
Michael King (1945-2004)
Mar 30 New Zealand historian and author (Penguin History of New Zealand), dies in a car crash at 58