Events in History
- Oct 2 The economic crisis in Ireland is considered to be the driving force behind the largest migration of Irish people to London in 20 years, it is reported today
- Oct 4 George Papandreou's Panhellenic Socialist Movement defeats Greece's governing New Democracy party in an electoral landslide.
Carl Gustav Jung's Red Book
Oct 7 A digital version of psychiatrist Carl Gustav Jung's 'Red Book' is published 48 years after his death and contains personal notes on his subconscious during the period in which he developed his principal theories
Gregorio Álvarez Sentenced
Oct 22 Former Uruguayan dictator Gregorio Álvarez sentenced to 25 years in prison for aggravated murder of 37 Uruguayan dissidents who had fled to Argentina 
- Oct 22 Microsoft releases Windows 7
- Oct 23 The UK markets had contracted by 0.4% in the third quarter against what was expected to be a period of growth, as a result of unexpectedly poor performance by the service sector
- Oct 23 The United Nations "Rotterdam Rules" convention regulating international maritime carriage of goods is ratified with its twentieth signature.
- Oct 24 First International Day of Climate Action, organized with 350.org, a global campaign to address a claimed global warming crisis.
- Oct 25 The 25 October 2009 Baghdad bombings kills 155 and wounds at least 721.
- Oct 28 NASA successfully launches the Ares I-X mission, the only rocket launch for its later-cancelled Constellation program.
- Oct 28 The 28 October 2009 Peshawar bombing kills 117 and wounds 213.
Weddings in History
Ivanka Trump & Jared Kushner
Oct 25 American businesswoman Ivanka Trump (27) weds New York Observer owner Jared Kushner (28) at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey
Deaths in History
- Oct 3 Queen Fatima, former Libyan queen (b. 1918)
- Oct 4 Günther Rall, German fighter ace, dies at 91
- Oct 7 Irving Penn, American fashion and fine art photographer. dies at 92
- Oct 7 Shelby Singleton, American record label owner and producer (Smash Records, Mercury Records), dies of brain cancer at 77
- Oct 13 Stephen Barnett, American legal scholar who opposed the Newspaper Preservation Act of 1970 (b. 1935)
- Oct 16 Robert W. Davis, American politician (Rep-R-MI, 1979-93), dies at 77
- Oct 18 Nancy Spero, American feminist artist, dies at 83
- Oct 19 Howard Unruh, American spree killer (b. 1921)
- Oct 21 Louise Cooper, British sci-fi author (Nemesis, Inferno, Infanta, Nocturne), dies of a brain hemorrhage at 57
- Oct 26 Teel Bivins, American politician (b. 1947)
- Oct 29 Anna Yegorova, Russian pilot (flew 277 sorties WWII in Soviet air force), dies at 93
- Oct 30 Claude Lévi-Strauss, French social anthropologist and ethnologist (structuralism), dies at 100
- Oct 31 Qian Xuesen, Chinese scientist who worked on the Manhattan Project and who pioneered engineering cybernetics, dies at 97