June 8, 2020 in History
- Former astronaut Kathy Sullivan is the first woman to reach deepest point of the ocean - Challenger Deep in the Marianas Trench. Formerly the first American woman to spacewalk.
- Lockdowns for COVID-19 in Europe saved 3 million lives according to study by Imperial College London
- National Bureau of Economic Research announces the US officially entered recession in February, ending the longest expansion of growth since 1854 (11 years)
- New York begins reopening after 100 days of lockdown due to COVID-19 with just 702 hospitalized (18,825 at peak of outbreak)
- The Philippines says children won't go back to school until a vaccine is found for COVID-19
- World Bank says the COVID-19 pandemic will shrink the global economy by 5.2% in 2020
- Pierre Nkurunziza, President of Burundi (2005-20), dies at 55