On This Day in History for April 14
Events in History
- 43 BC Battle of Forum Gallorum: Mark Antony, besieging Julius Caesar's assassin Decimus Junius Brutus in Mutina, defeats the forces of the consul Pansa, who is killed.
- 193 Lucius Septimius Severus crowned Emperor of Rome
- 754 Pact of Quierzy: between Pope Stephen II, [III] & Pippin the Korte
- 966 Christianisation of Poland - Polish ruler Mieszko I and his court baptized
- 972 Notger becomes bishop of Liege
- 979 Challenge to throne of King Aethelred II of England
- 1028 German emperor Conrad II the Sailor crowns his son Henry III, king
- 1191 85-year old Giacinto Bobo becomes Pope Coelestinus III
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1880 Philosopher John Muir (41) weds Louisa Strentzel
- 1890 Painter Pierre Auguste Renoir (49) weds Aline Victorine Charigot
Divorces in History
- 1978 Novelist Danielle Steel (30) divorces Danny Zugelder after almost 3 years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces in History
April in History
Tragedy Writ Large for Charles DickensCharles Dickens was struck with grief on this day when his tiny daughter, Dora, died after suffering convulsions. She was less than eight months old.
April 14, 1851
Assassination of Abraham LincolnLincoln is shot in the Ford's Theatre in Washington D.C. by John Wilkes Booth
April 14, 1865
Iceberg Sinks 'Unsinkable' TitanicThe Titanic hit an iceberg on her maiden voyage and sank on this day in history. She took with her to the bottom of the sea some of the world’s richest people.
April 15, 1912
Shrek the SheepShrek the sheep, after escaping shearing for 6 years!
April 15, 2004