On This Day in History for April 27
Events in History
- 1124 David I becomes King of Scots
- 1296 Battle of Dunbar: The Scots are defeated by Edward I of England
- 1509 Pope Julius II excommunicates Italian state of Venice
- 1518 Treaty of St Truiden: anti-French Trapdoors and Bourgondisch covenant
- 1522 Battle of Bicocca: a combined French and Venetian force is decisively defeated by a Spanish-Imperial and Papal army
- 1539 Re-founding of the city of Bogotá, New Granada (nowadays Colombia), by Nikolaus Federmann and Sebastián de Belalcázar.
- 1565 1st Spanish settlement in the Philippines forms at Cebu City
- 1576 Peace of Beaulieu and Paix de Monsieur
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1597 Astronomer Johannes Kepler marries widow Barbara Müller
- 1862 Chemist Dmitri Mendeleev (28) weds Feozva Nikitichna Leshcheva at Nikolaev Engineering Institute's church in Saint Petersburg, Russia
- 1985 Police violence victim Rodney King (20) weds Dennetta Lyles
Divorces in History
- 1927 Inventor and electrical engineer Guglielmo Marconi (53) divorces Beatrice O'Brien after 22 years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces in History
April in History
Oscar Wilde Presses Self-Destruct ButtonWhen Oscar Wilde sued the Marquess of Queensberry for libel over a sodomite slur, he opened the door to social and financial ruin that would lead to his death.
April 26, 1895
First Labour GovernmentAustralia's first Labor ministry, the first in the world
April 27, 1904
Record-Breaking Sheila, the High-Flying AviatorThe Sky's was the limit for Sheila Scott who made three solo flights around the world and was the first pilot, male or female, to fly over the North Pole.
April 27, 1922
Great Sacrifice of a Plague-Ridden VillageWilliam Mompesson, a clergyman born on this day, created a legend when he persuaded the people in a plague-ridden village to sacrifice their lives to save others.
April 28, 1639