Events in History
- 325 First Council of Nicaea ends with adoption of the Nicene Creed establishing the doctrine of the Holy Trinity
- 357 Battle at Straatsburg: Julianus beats Alamannen, Chonodomarius caught
- 450 Roman Senate elects Marcian Eastern Roman Emperor, succeeding Theodosius II who died without issue
- 1212 Children's crusade under Nicolas (10) reaches Genoa
- 1248 The Dutch city of Ommen receives city rights and fortification rights from Otto III, the Archbishop of Utrecht.
- 1330 Antipope Nicholas V, having obtained assurance of pardon, presents a confession of his sins to Pope John XXII, at Avignon, who absolved him
- 1425 Countess Jacoba of Bavaria escapes from jail
- 1499 Battle at Sapienza: Turkish fleet beats Venetians
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1749 British admiral Samuel Hood (24) weds Susannah Linzee in Portsmouth, England
- 1885 "Little House On The Prairie" author Laura Ingalls (18) weds Almonzo James Wilder (28)
- 1925 Suffragette Kate Sheppard (78) weds printer and author William Sidney Lovell-Smith (72) in Christchurch, New Zealand
More Weddings in History
August in History
Neil, The Rebel VanderbiltWealth meant that Cornelius Vanderbilt IV, known as Neil, had the world at his feet. But he chose paths that set him adrift from high society and his family.
August 24, 1918
Alaric I Sacks RomeVisigoths led by Alaric I, sack Rome
August 24, 410 AD
Captain Webb Conquers the English ChannelAfter 22 hours in the water Captain Matthew Webb stepped ashore at Calais on this day – the first person ever to swim across the Channel from England to France.
August 25, 1875
Instant RamenThe packaging of the first chicken instant ramen in 1958
August 25, 1958