Events in History
- 627 Battle at Nineveh: Byzantine Emperor Heraclius beats Sassanid forces during Byzantine-Sassanid War
- 1098 1st Crusaders capture & plunder Mara, Syria
- 1279 Discovery of a sarcophagus supposedly containing the body of Mary Magdalene in the crypt of the church of Saint-Maximin, southeastern France
- 1408 Order of the Dragon: The Order of the Dragon was first created on December 12, 1408 by Emperor Sigismund, then King of Hungary, and his wife Queen Barbara of Celje following the battle for possession of Bosnia.
- 1474 Isabella crowns herself queen of Castile & Aragon
- 1479 Jews are expelled from Schlettstadt Alsace by Emperor Frederick III
- 1524 Pope Clement VII approves Organization of Jewish Community of Rome
- 1653 English "Barebones" Parliament ends
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1666 Leopold I, Holy Roman Emperor (26), marries his niece and cousin Margaret Theresa of Spain (15), the celebrations last almost two years
- 2014 E! news anchor Jason Kennedy (33) weds fashion journalist and blogger Lauren Scruggs (26) at the Four Seasons Resort in Dallas, Texas
More Weddings in History
December in History
Marconi's Dream: Telegraphy Without WiresItalian radio pioneer Guglielmo Marconi's career received a big boost on this day with backing from the British Post Office.
December 11, 1896
The MayflowerThe Mayflower at Sea, Copyrighted and Published by A. S. Burbank
December 11, 1620
A King Salutes Remarkable Woman SoldierWhether she went to war out of love or duty, Phoebe Hessel, who died on this day, led a remarkable life on and off the battlefield.
December 12, 1821
Heartbreak and Tragedy for Captain ScottBeaten to the South Pole by Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen on this day, only despair and death awaited British explorer Captain Robert Scott.
December 14, 1911