On This Day in History for December 2
Events in History
- 1409 The University of Leipzig opens
- 1620 English language newspaper "Namloos" begins publishing in Amsterdam
- 1682 Anthony Ashley Cooper, 1st Earl of Shaftesbury flees to Amsterdam following the failure of his plots to prevent a Catholic succession should King Charles II die
- 1697 St Paul's Cathedral, designed by Sir Christopher Wren is consecrated for use (previous building destroyed in the Great Fire of London)
- 1755 The second Eddystone Lighthouse on Eddystone Rocks off English southern coast is destroyed by fire
- 1763 Touro shul of Newport, Rhode Island dedicated (oldest existing US synagogue)
- 1777 British General Howe plots attack on Washington's army for Dec 4
- 1790 Austrian army occupies Brussels
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1886 26th US President Theodore Roosevelt (28) weds second wife Edith Kermit Carow (25) in London
- 1933 1st transatlantic telephone wedding (Bertil Clason-Sigrid Carlson)
More Weddings in History
December in History
How the First Sherlock Holmes Story was Sold for a SongHow did an English publisher most famous for giving the world Mrs Beeton’s Book of Household Management come to publish the first Sherlock Holmes story?
December 1, 1887
Fish Dish Finishes Off a KingDoctors warned King Henry I against eating lampreys. But he enjoyed the slippery fish and happily devoured a plateful of them leading to his death on this day.
December 1, 1135
Coronation of Napoleon BonaparteNapoleon is crowned Emperor of the French at Notre-Dam on December 2, 1804, painting by Jacques-Louis David
December 2, 1804
Flannelfoot, The False Teeth FilcherFlannelfoot, a burglar who operated in London but gained international notoriety, would steal almost anything that came to hand – even a set of false teeth!
December 3, 1937