Events in History
- 1 1st Christmas, according to calendar-maker Dionysus Exiguus
- 274 Roman Emperor Aurelian dedicates a temple to Sol Invictus on the supposed day of the winter solstice and day of rebirth of the Sun.
- 337 Earliest possible date that Christmas was celebrated on Dec 25th
- 352 1st definite date Christmas was celebrated on Dec 25th
- 390 Roman emperor Theodosius admits debt on mass murder in Thessalonica
- 496 King Clovis I is baptized a Roman Catholic in Reims cathedral - first Germanic king to do so, according to Henry of Tours (year disputed)
- 597 England adopts Julian calendar
- 604 Battle at Etampes (Stampae): Burgundy beat Neustriers
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1871 Inventor Thomas Edison (24) marries 1st wife Mary Stilwell (16)
- 1871 Writer Ambrose Bierce (29) weds Mary Ellen Day
- 1950 Dick Tracy marries Tess Truehart
More Weddings in History
December in History
Enter King John – England's Worst-Ever MonarchMost historians have difficulty finding a good word to say about King John who was born on this day and by general agreement ranks as England’s worst monarch.
December 24, 1167
The Day They Banned ChristmasGearing up for a day of Christmas festivities, would-be US revellers in Boston faced bad news on this day. All such celebrations had been declared illegal.
December 24, 1659
The Day Murdoch Spoilt the Queen's ChristmasQueen Elizabeth II made the first live Christmas Day broadcast of her reign on December 25, 1952. Forty years later a pre-recorded message would be leaked.
December 25, 1952
Will There Be a Yacht In Boxing Day Sale?Black Friday triggers a global online hunt for bargains. But nothing, it seems, compares with the excitement of joining the crush at a physical Boxing Day sale.
December 26, 1836