On This Day in History for December 26
Events in History
- 268 Saint Dionysius, Roman Pope (259-260), dies
- 795 Leo III is elected to serve as Pope on the day his predecessor was buried and is consecrated the following day
- 1198 French bishop Odo van Sully condemns Zottenfeest
- 1481 Battle at Westbroek: Dutch army beats Utrecht
- 1492 1st Spanish settlement La Navidad in the New World is founded by Christopher Columbus (modern Môle-Saint-Nicolas in Haiti)
- 1568 Uprising of Morisco's against suppression in Granada
- 1606 First known performance of William Shakespeare's tragedy "King Lear" before the court of King James I at Whitehall, London
- 1659 Long Parliament reforms in Westminster
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1613 Robert Carr, 1st Earl of Somerset, marries Frances Howard, occasioning John Donne's "Eclogue"
- 1793 The wedding of Prince Friedrich Ludwig of Prussia and Frederica of Mecklenburg-Strelitz takes place.
- 1843 US Navy flag officer David Farragut (42) weds Virginia Loyall
More Weddings in History
December in History
The Day Murdoch Spoilt the Queen's ChristmasQueen Elizabeth II made the first live Christmas Day broadcast of her reign on December 25, 1952. Forty years later a pre-recorded message would be leaked.
December 25, 1952
Westminster Abbey ConsecratedEdward the Confessor depicted during the construction of Westminster Abbey
December 26, 1065
Will There Be a Yacht In Boxing Day Sale?Black Friday triggers a global online hunt for bargains. But nothing, it seems, compares with the excitement of joining the crush at a physical Boxing Day sale.
December 26, 1836
Boxing Day TsunamiThe tsunami hits Ao Nang, Thailand
December 26, 2004