On This Day in History for December 28
Events in History
- 418 St Boniface I begins his reign as Catholic Pope
- 457 Roman armies proclaim Majorian Emperor of the Western Roman Empire
- 801 Louis the Vrome occupies Barcelona
- 1065 New church devoted to St Peter the Apostle built by Edward the Confessor - later called the 'west minister' consecrated in London (rebuilt mid 13th century) 
- 1308 The reign of Emperor Hanazono, Emperor of Japan, begins
- 1537 French king Francis I issues decree to booksellers and printers requiring them to deposit their work in the King's Library, world's first legal depository requirement 
- 1612 First observation of Neptune - Galileo observes and records a "fixed star" without realising it is a planet
- 1614 Sperm whale beached at Noordwijk
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1936 British best-selling romantic author Barbara Cartland (35) marries 2nd husband Hugh McCorquodale
Divorces in History
- 2012 Astronaut Buzz Aldrin (82) divorces Lois Driggs Cannon due to irreconcilable differences after 23 years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces in History
December in History
Darwin Discovers The Secrets of LifeCharles Darwin set out on a voyage of discovery on this day. What he discovered was later to stun the scientific world – and outrage the Church.
December 27, 1831
Oh Tragedy! What Could Be Worse? – McGonagall’s Verse!Suffering a tragedy such as happened on this day was bad enough: what made it worse was having self-declared poet William McGonagall compose a rhyme about it.
December 28, 1879
Benjamin Franklin’s Words of WisdomHe is best known as a Founding Father of America but Benjamin Franklin’s first major enterprise was Poor Richard’s Almanack, first published on this day in history.
December 28, 1732
'Hitler Will Have to Break Us or Lose the War'The German Luftwaffe were hammering the British RAF until a furious and frustrated Hitler changed the plan and possibly the outcome of the war.
December 29, 1940