On This Day in History for February 11
- 660 BC Traditional date for the foundation of Japan by Emperor Jimmu
- 55 Tiberius Claudius Caesar Britannicus, heir to the Roman Emperorship, dies under mysterious circumstances in Rome. This clears the way for Nero to become Emperor.
- 385 Siricius, bishop of Tarragona, elected as Bishop of Rome; first to style himself Pope
- 824 St Paschal I ends his reign as Pope
- 1543 Battle at Wayna Daga: Ethiopian and Portuguese troops beat Muslim army
- 1543 Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and English King Henry VIII sign anti-French covenant
- 1659 The assault on Copenhagen by Swedish forces is beaten back with heavy losses
- 1720 Sweden & Prussia sign peace (2nd Treaty of Stockholm)
- More Events in History
Why 'SuperMac' was Banished From Number 10
War hero, Edwardian gentleman, academic, friend of the Kennedys, former Prime Minister Harold Macmillan was born on this day.
February 10, 1894
Thomas Edison, The ‘Invention Factory’ Wizard
Thomas Edison, hailed by many as America’s greatest practical genius, was born on this day. He went on to become the holder of a world record 1,093 patents.
February 11, 1847
Conference of the Big Three at Yalta (from left to right) Winston Churchill, Franklin D. Roosevelt and Joseph Stalin
February 11, 1945
Abraham Lincoln, the Presidential Icon
Abraham Lincoln, hailed by many as the greatest President of the United States, was born in poverty on this day in a one-room rural cabin, the son of a farmer.
February 12, 1809