On This Day in History for February 28
Events in History
- 202 BC Coronation ceremony of Liu Bang as Emperor Gaozu of Han takes place, initiating four centuries of the Han Dynasty's rule over China
- 364 Valentinian I becomes Roman Emperor (rules till 375)
- 870 8th Ecumenical council ends in Constantinople
- 1570 Anti-Portuguese uprising on Ternate, Moluccas
- 1638 Scottish Presbyterians sign National Convent, Greyfriars, Edinburgh
- 1646 Roger Scott tried in Massachusetts for sleeping in church
- 1653 -Mar 3] 3 Day Sea battle English beat Dutch
- 1667 English colony Suriname comes under Dutch controls
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1496 Joanna of Aragon marries Philip of Flanders, future King Philip I of Castile
- 1922 English Princess Mary marries Viscount Lascelles at Westminster Abbey
More Weddings in History
February in History
Fire Sparks Hitler’s Rise To Absolute PowerThe Reichstag building, home of the German parliament in Berlin, went up in flames on this day giving Adolf Hitler propaganda in his quest for dictatorship.
February 27, 1933
The 'Baronet' From Wagga WaggaIn the bizarre Tichborne case, a claim by a butcher from Wagga Wagga to be a missing baronet fell apart on this day after the longest trial in English history.
February 28, 1874
February 28 MassacreAn angry crowd occupies the Tobacco Monopoly Bureau in Taipei
February 28, 1947
Crafty Columbus Plays a Leap Year TrickMany people born on February 29th curse their fate but it can also bring luck and benefits as explorer Christopher Columbus demonstrated over 400 years ago.
February 29, 1504