On This Day in History for February 9
Events in History
- 1234 Mongol army takes the Jin city of Caizhou, last holdout of Jin Emperor Ai-Tsung, who commits suicide rather than be captured
- 1267 Synod of Breslau orders Jews of Silesia to wear special caps
- 1287 Massive storm across south-east England hits Cinque Ports realines the coastline, New Romney port now a mile inland 
- 1499 France & Venice sign treaty against Milan
- 1537 Pope Paul III routes Cardinal Pole to England
- 1554 Battle at London: Sir Thomas Wyatt defeated and his rebellion against Queen Mary crushed
- 1555 Bishop of Gloucester John Hooper is burned at the stake for heresy
- 1574 Louis of Nassau ends siege of Maastricht
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1864 Brigadier General George Armstrong Custer marries Elizabeth Clift Bacon
More Weddings in History
February in History
Earthquakes and a Book Rock LondonIn the 18th Century, Englishmen went into a panic when London, of all places, was hit by earthquakes. But was there a stronger force than Mother Nature at work?
February 8, 1750
Cold Or Curse: What Killed The President?President William Harrison spent just 32 days in the White House, the shortest administration in American history. Was it because of a curse?
February 9, 1773
The Benin Pendant MaskBenin mask carved of ivory thought to represent 16th century Edo queen Idia
February 9, 1897
A Humorous Diplomatic Atlas of Europe and AsiaJapanese anti-Russian satirical map titled "A Humorous Diplomatic Atlas of Europe and Asia"
February 9, 1904