On This Day in History for January 22
Events in History
- 565 Eutychius is deposed as Patriarch of Constantinople by John Scholasticus
- 871 Battle of Basing: Danish invasion army beats Saxon Ethelred of Wessex
- 1371 King Robert II of Scotland (1371-90) is crowned, becoming the first monarch of the House of Stewart
- 1472 Great comet of 1471 (C/1471 Y1) becomes the closest comet in modern times, coming within 10 million kilometers of Earth 
- 1506 The first contingent of 150 Swiss Guards arrive at the Vatican
- 1510 Jews are expelled from Colmar, Alsace
- 1517 Ottoman forces take Cairo, capital of the Mamluk Sultanate
- 1528 England & France declare war on Emperor Charles V
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1942 Novelist Anthony Burgess (25) weds Llewela Jones
- 1985 Zak Starkey (Ringo's son) marries Sarah Menikides
More Weddings in History
January in History
The Pain Behind Cleopatra's NeedleFirst-time visitors to London could be surprised when they see an Egyptian obelisk standing beside the River Thames. It was welcomed to the city on this day.
January 21, 1878
The British: 139. Zulu Warriors: 4,000. Let Battle BeginIt was one of the most remarkable military engagements ever: the day that 139 British soldiers took on 4,000 Zulu warriors – and won.
January 22, 1879
Pitman Shorthand: An Invention of NoteShorthand inventor Isaac Pitman died on this day. Other systems evolved before and after Pitman, but the long and short of it is, his is the most widespread.
January 22, 1897
1905 Russian RevolutionTsarist troops wait outside the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg
January 22, 1905