On This Day in History for January 25
Events in History
- 41 After a night of negotiation, Claudius is accepted as Roman Emperor by the Senate
- 1139 Godfried II the Young becomes Duke of Brabant
- 1327 King Edward III accedes to the English throne aged 14, after his mother Isabella of France, and her lover Roger Mortimer depose his father Edward II
- 1348 Friuli Earthquake in |European southern Alps measuring approximately 6.9, largely destroys Villach, killing 5,000
- 1494 Alfonso II succeeds his father as King of Naples
- 1554 Founding of the city of São Paulo in Brazil
- 1554 Sir Thomas Wyatt gathers an army in Kent, rebels against Queen Mary
- 1565 Battle at Talikota India: Deccan sultanate destroy Vijayanagar's army and the last Hindu kingdom of Southern India
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1533 England's King Henry VIII marries Anne Boleyn, his 2nd wife
- 1871 US President William McKinley (27) weds Ida Saxton (23) at the First Presbyterian Church in Canton
More Weddings in History
January in History
California Gold RushAt first it was just a glint in James Marshall’s eye. But when he confirmed what he thought he had seen, the frantic California Gold Rush of the 1840s began.
January 24, 1848
Beer in a CanKrueger's Cream Ale and Krueger's Finest Beer, sold by American company Krueger Brewing Co.
January 24, 1935
Al Capone, Public Enemy Number OneAl Capone, forever associated with Prohibition and the St Valentine’s Day Massacre, has long been ranked as the most notorious gangster in American history.
January 25, 1947
'I Did Not Have Sexual Relations With That Woman'One of the most notorious denials in political history came on this day when President Bill Clinton held a news conference on his relations with Monica Lewinsky.
January 26, 1998