On This Day in History for January 29
Events in History
- 474 Zeno crowned as co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire together with his son Leo II (age 6 or 7)
- 661 Rashidun Caliphate, then the largest empire in history, ends with the death of its leader, Ali. Succeeded by the Umayyad Caliphate.
- 904 Sergius III comes out of retirement to take over the papacy from the deposed antipope Christopher
- 1258 Mongols defeated by Dai Viet at the battle of Dong Bo Dau
- 1523 Sermon of Constanz: Zwingli defends 67 Schlussreden
- 1574 Sea battle of Reimerswaal - Admiral Boisot beats Spanish fleet
- 1587 Deventer and Zutphen surrender to Spain
- 1594 Mathematician John Napier dedicates his "Plaine Discovery of the Whole Revelation of St. John" to King James VI, predicts end of the world in 1688 or 1700
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1839 English naturalist and "On the Origin of Species" author Charles Darwin (42) marries Emma Wedgwood (41)
- 1917 Sculptor Auguste Rodin (76) weds Rose Beuret
- 1923 President of Turkey Mustafa Kemal Ataturk (41) weds Latife Hanim; divorce in 1925
More Weddings in History
January in History
Riot Leader Accuses a QueenHow did Lord George Gordon, an aristocrat who led the Gordon Riots in London, lose a libel case on this day to French Queen Marie Antoinette?
January 28, 1788
Secret Behind Mona Lisa's SmileThe smile has beguiled art lovers for nearly 600 years and made the Mona Lisa the world's most famous work of art. But was her smile due to a medical condition?
January 29, 1987
Compromise of 1850Henry Clay's handwritten draft of one of the bills that formed the Compromise of 1850
January 29, 1850
Lovesick Prince in Suicide PactTwo lovers, a pact, then tragedy. But what really happened at Mayerling in 1889 remains a mystery despite 130 years of rumour, speculation – and three movies.
January 30, 1889