On This Day in History for January 7
Events in History
- 1558 Calais, last English possession in France, retaken by France
- 1566 Antonio "Michele" Ghislieri is elected Pope Pius V
- 1584 Last day of the Julian calendar in Bohemia and The Holy Roman Empire
- 1598 Boris Godunov seizes Russian throne on death of Feodor I
- 1608 Fire destroys Jamestown, Virginia
- 1610 Galileo Galilei discovers the first three moons of Jupiter: Io, Europa & Ganymede
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1430 Duke Philip the Good (33) formally celebrate marriage Isabella of Portugal (32) in Sluys, Burgundy
- 1879 Dutch King William II marries Emma von Waldeck-Pyrmont
- 1934 Dutch Princess Juliana marries German prince Bernhard von Lippe-Biesterfeld
More Weddings in History
January in History
Roosevelt’s Four FreedomsPresident Franklin Roosevelt delivered his Four Freedoms speech on this day. It would form the basis of the UN Declaration of Human Rights three years later.
January 6, 1941
Getting In a Spin On Saint Distaff’s DayDistaff is not one of the best known saints; in fact he never existed. But January 7 is Saint Distaff’s Day and once one of seemingly dangerous fun and frolics.
January 7, 1 AD
Impeachment Trial of Bill ClintonTickets issued to former President Gerald Ford and his wife Betty
January 7, 1999
A Crackdown on Lovers in New YorkNew York wasn't always a free and easy city. Time was when not only adultery was a crime, but even looking at a lady in the wrong way could land a guy in trouble.
January 8, 1902