On This Day in History for January 9
Events in History
- 475 Byzantine Emperor Zeno is forced to flee his capital at Constantinople
- 1296 Earl Floris V signs accord with French King
- 1317 Phillips V, the Tall, crowned King of France
- 1349 700 Jews of Basel Switzerland, burned alive in their houses
- 1431 Judges' investigations for the trial of Joan of Arc begin in Rouen, France, the seat of the English occupation government
- 1464 1st meeting of States-General of Netherlands
- 1493 1st sight of manatees by Christopher Columbus
- 1522 Adriaan F Boeyens elected only Dutch pope (Adrian VI)
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1428 Pope Martinus V declares Jacqueline, Countess of Haintaut's marriage to Humphrey Duke of Gloucester invalid
- 1988 English earl of St Andrews marries Sylvana Tomaselli
More Weddings in History
January in History
A Crackdown on Lovers in New YorkNew York wasn't always a free and easy city. Time was when not only adultery was a crime, but even looking at a lady in the wrong way could land a guy in trouble.
January 8, 1902
Gallipoli: Guts, Glory and DefeatThe horrors of the First World War are encapsulated in the enduring names of its famous terrible battles, such as the Somme, Paschendale . . . and Gallipoli.
January 9, 1916
First Photograph of a PersonIn the bottom left corner a man can be seen having his shoes shined on the Boulevard du Temple in Paris
January 9, 1839
A Day's Pay – The Cost of Sending a LetterSending letters and parcels used to be a highly expensive and difficult process until on this day the “Penny Post” system began, thanks to an English teacher.
January 10, 1840