On This Day in History for March 11
Events in History
- 1425 BC Thutmose III, Pharaoh of Egypt, dies (according to the Low Chronology of the 18th Dynasty).
- 537 Goths lay siege to Rome
- 843 Icon veneration officially re-instated in Hagia Sophia Cathedral in Constantinople
- 928 Trpimir II succeeds to the Croatian throne.
- 1387 The Battle of Castagnaro begins.
- 1502 Ismail I, founder of the Safavid dynasty, crowned Shah of Persia (rules till 1524)
- 1513 Giovanni de' Medici chosen Pope Leo X
- 1567 Geuzen army leaves Walcheren to return to Oosterweel
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1302 Romeo & Juliet's wedding day, according to Shakespeare
- 1598 Countess Charlotte of Nassau marries duke Claude de la Tremoille
- 1787 Naval officer Horatio Nelson (28) weds Frances Nisbet at Montpelier Estate on the island of Nevis
More Weddings in History
March in History
Firebombing of TokyoThe aftermath of the single deadliest air raid of World War II, the firebombing of Tokyo
March 10, 1945
Mr. Watson come here, I want youAlexander Graham Bell spoke only briefly by phone to his assistant on this day in 1876, but it proved to be a pioneering moment in telecoms history.
March 10, 1876
Read All About It! UK's First Daily NewspaperThere were to be no ‘shock, horror’ stories in the UK’s first daily newspaper published on this day. Readers were asked to judge reported events for themselves.
March 11, 1702
Spanish FluStaff of the American Red Cross remove a Spanish flu victim from a house in St. Louis, Missouri, during the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic
March 11, 1918