On This Day in History for March 19
Events in History
- 1227 Count Ugolino of Segna elected Pope Gregory IX
- 1279 A Mongolian victory at the naval Battle of Yamen ends the Song Dynasty in China
- 1452 Frederick III of Hapsburg crowned Holy Roman Emperor by Pope Nicholas V in Rome
- 1524 Giovanni de Varrazano, a Florentine explorer in the service of King Francis I of France, lands around area of Carolinas
- 1540 Court of Holland names Amsterdam sheriff John Hubrechtsz a "heretic"
- 1563 Peace of Amboise: Rights for Huguenots
- 1571 Spanish troops occupy Manila
- 1644 200 members of Peking imperial family and court commit suicide in loyalty to the Emperor
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1924 American poet e.e. (Edward Estlin) Cummings marries first wife Elaine Orr. The marriage lasts less than 9 months.
Divorces in History
- 1976 Princess Margaret separates from the Earl of Snowdon, after 16 years
- 1996 Winnie Madikizela-Mandela divorces Nelson Mandela after 38 years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces in History
March in History
Dr Livingstone, I Presume?Explorer David Livingstone, born on this day, spawned one of the most famous encounters when he was found in Africa by journalist Henry Stanley.
March 19, 1813
Invasion of IraqUS troops in a sandstorm during the invasion of Iraq in 2003
March 19, 2003
A First Lady Goes ShopliftingWhile former Panama military dictator Manuel Noriega was awaiting his fate on racketeering charges, his wife Felicidad was having her own run-in with the law.
March 20, 1992
Welcome Shoppers, But No Whistling PleaseBurlington Arcade, one of London's finest shopping streets, was opened on this day, partly as a deterrent to litter louts.
March 20, 1819