Events in History
- 127 Greek astronomer and mathematician Ptolemy begins his observations of the heavens (until 141 AD)
- 685 Cuthbert (later Saint Cuthbert) is consecrated Bishop of Lindisfarne by Archbishop Theodore at York
- 1027 Pope John XIX crowns Conrad II Holy Roman Emperor, founder of the Salian dynasty
- 1147 Jewish community in Cologne fasts to commemorate anti-Jewish violence
- 1484 William Caxton prints his translation of Aesop's Fables
- 1526 King Francis I returns from Spanish captivity to France
- 1534 Lübeck accepts free Dutch ships into East Sea
- 1552 Guru Amar Das becomes the Third Sikh Guru
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1771 Political activist Thomas Paine (34) weds second wife Elizabeth Ollive
- 1842 Italian general Giuseppe Garibaldi (34) weds Ana Maria de Jesus Ribeiro (20) in Montevideo
- 1938 Writer Walter Lippmann (48) weds second wife Helen Byrne Armstrong
More Weddings in History
March in History
Murder Most Foul in Olde EnglandFew murders were so horrific as the one that came to light on this day in history. And few punishments so grisly as that which befell Catherine Hayes.
March 26, 1726
Massive Earthquake in Caracas, VenezuelaCaracas lies in ruins after the deadly 1812 earthquake
March 26, 1812
Albert's Monumental LegacyArchitect George Gilbert Scott, who designed the Albert Memorial in honour of Queen Victoria's beloved husband, Prince Albert died on this day.
March 27, 1878
Gucci Chief Falls Prey to the Black WidowThe world of design and fashion was shocked when Maurizio Gucci was shot dead in 1995. His execution would lead to an even greater sensation three years later.
March 27, 1995