Events in History
- 1531 Henry VIII recognised as supreme head of Church in England by the Convocation of Canterbury
- 1586 Johan van Oldenbarnevelt becomes Dutch chief legal advisor
- 1658 Peace of Roskilde between Sweden & Denmark
- 1702 James II's daughter Anne Stuart becomes Queen of England, Scotland and Ireland following the death of William III
- 1706 Vienna's Wiener Stadtbank established
- 1711 Antoin de Guiscard tries English premier Haley for murder
- 1722 Afghan monarch Mir Mahmud occupies Persia
- 1746 Duke of Cumberland's troops occupy Aberdeen
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1418 Jacqueline, Countess of Haintaut marries her cousin John IV Duke of Brabant in The Hague
- 1820 5th US President James Monroe's daughter Maria 1st child of a President to marry in the White House
- 1848 Confederate General James Longstreet (27) weds Maria Louisa Garland in Lynchburg, Virginia
More Weddings in History
March in History
Telephone Invention Dispute? That Rings a BellThere was fierce competition among 19th Century inventors to come up with a working telephone. Alexander Graham Bell won and was granted a patent on this day.
March 7, 1876
Sinatra Snaps the Fight of the CenturySinatra does it his way and secures a ringside seat as a photographer for the "Fight of the Century" between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier.
March 8, 1971
Flight MH370 DisappearsPost-it notes written by well-wishers in Malaysia after Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 went missing
March 8, 2014
One-Man War Finally EndsJapanese soldier Hiroo Onoda finally surrendered on this day – nearly 30 years after the Second World War had ended.
March 9, 1974