On This Day in History for November 20
Events in History
- 284 Roman soldier Diocletian proclaimed Emperor by the army
- 762 Bögü, Khan of the Uyghurs, conquers Lo-Yang, capital of the Chinese Empire
- 1168 Giovanni di Struma elected anti-Pope
- 1194 Palermo, Sicily, is conquered by Holy Roman Emperor Henry VI
- 1272 Edward I proclaimed King of England after death of his father, Henry III. He would take two years to return to England from the Ninth Crusade.
- 1342 Pope Clemens VI names John IV of Arkel as bishop of Utrecht
- 1347 Cola di Rienzo, later Roman Tribunal, addresses a meeting of on the Capitol during people's revolt in Rome
- 1407 A truce between John the Fearless, Duke of Burgundy and Louis of Valois, Duke of Orléans is agreed under the auspices of John, Duke of Berry. Orléans would be assassinated three days later by Burgundy.
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1900 Archaeologist Hiram Bingham (25) weds Tiffany heiress Alfreda Mitchell in Honolulu, Hawaii
- 1947 Future British Queen Princess Elizabeth II (21) weds Lt Philip Mountbatten (26) in Westminster Abbey, London
- 1994 Patti Davis weds Paul Hayeland
Divorces in History
- 2013 Business magnate Rupert Murdoch (82) divorces Wendi Deng (44) due to irreconcilable differences after 13 years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces in History
November in History
Words That Echoed Down The DecadesAbraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, delivered on this day, was as short and simple as it was immensely powerful and memorable.
November 19, 1863
Nuremberg War Trials Bring Nazis to JusticeThe Trial of Major War Criminals began on this day, the first of a five-year series of hearings at Nuremberg where WW2 Nazis were held to account.
November 20, 1945
Bare Bones of the Great Ape-Man HoaxOn this day the Piltdown Man skull, which had been hailed as the missing link proving an evolutionary relationship between man and apes, was revealed as a hoax.
November 21, 1953
Robert Mugabe OustedProtestors in Harare, Zimbabwe, demonstrate against longtime dictator Robert Mugabe
November 21, 2017