Events in History
- 602 Byzantine senate elects army officer Phocas Emperor in a mutiny against the reigning Emperor Maurice (who is then killed along with all his family)
- 800 Charlemagne arrives in Rome to investigate the alleged crimes of Pope Leo III
- 1165 Pope Alexander III returns from exile to Rome
- 1227 Polish Prince Leszek I the White is assassinated at an assembly of Polish dukes at Gąsawa
- 1248 Conquest of Seville by Christian troops under King Ferdinand III of Castile after the city capitulates
- 1334 St Clemens Flood: Storm surge overwhelms dikes along Flemish and Dutch North Sea coast, killing thousands; city of Ostend moves church inland to higher ground (an effort repeated twice more over the next two centuries)
- 1499 Flemish pretender to the English throne Perkin Warbeck hanged for reportedly attempting to escape from Tower of London. Invaded England in 1497, claiming to be the lost son of King Edward IV
- 1556 King Philip II confers with Dutch financial experts
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1955 Physicist William Shockley (45) weds psychiatric nurse Emmy Lanning
- 1974 South African ANC leader Thabo Mbeki (32) marries social worker Zanele Dlamini (36) in London, England
More Weddings in History
November in History
The Assassination of President KennedyThe shocking public killing of President Kennedy in 1963 was a momentous event in world history, giving birth to dozens of conspiracy theories.
November 22, 1963
Conquest of SevilleThe Qaid of Seville Axataf gives the keys of Seville to Ferdinand III of Castile, painting by Francisco Pacheco
November 23, 1248
Killing Rampage of Billy The KidBilly the Kid, believed to have been born on this day, claimed to have shot dead 21 men. But that didn’t stop Hollywood turning the killer into a folk hero.
November 23, 1859
Grace Darling, the Lighthouse HeroineRaging seas were no deterrent when lighthouse-keeper’s daughter Grace Darling determinedly set out in a rowing boat to rescue survivors of a shipwreck.
November 24, 1815