On This Day in History for November 24
Events in History
- 380 Theodosius I makes his adventus, or first formal entry, into Constantinople
- 496 Anastasius II succeeds Gelasius I as Catholic Pope
- 642 Theodore I begins his reign as Catholic Pope
- 1105 Rabbi Nathan ben Yehiel of Rome completes Talmudic dictionary
- 1221 Battle of the Indus: Genghis Khan's Mongol force defeats Shah Jalal ad-Din's army, last battle in Mongolian conquest of Khwarezmian Empire
- 1434 River Thames in London freezes over
- 1542 Battle of Solway Moss: English beat Scottish King James V
- 1587 Battle at Auneau: Henri de Guise wins
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1190 Isabella of Jerusalem marries Conrad of Montferrat at Acre, making him de jure King
- 1979 Author Kurt Vonnegut Jr. (57) weds photographer Jill Krementz (39)
More Weddings in History
November in History
Killing Rampage of Billy The KidBilly the Kid, believed to have been born on this day, claimed to have shot dead 21 men. But that didn’t stop Hollywood turning the killer into a folk hero.
November 23, 1859
Grace Darling, the Lighthouse HeroineRaging seas were no deterrent when lighthouse-keeper’s daughter Grace Darling determinedly set out in a rowing boat to rescue survivors of a shipwreck.
November 24, 1815
Transit of VenusCrabtree watching the Transit of Venus in 1639 by Ford Maddox Brown
November 24, 1639
Theatregoers Still Caught in The MousetrapIt began in 1952 with a fresh-faced young actor called Richard Attenborough in the lead role. Since then, The Mousetrap has smashed all theatrical records.
November 25, 1952