On This Day in History for November 26
Events in History
- 43 BC Second Triumvirate alliance of Roman leader Octavian (later Caesar Augustus), Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, and Mark Antony formed
- 579 Pelagius II begins his reign as Catholic Pope
- 783 Asturian queen Adosinda was put in the monastery of San Juan de Pravia, where she lived out the rest of her life, to prevent her kin from retaking the throne from Mauregatus.
- 1476 Vlad III Dracula defeats Basarab Laiota with the help of Stephen the Great and Stephen V Bathory and becomes the ruler of Wallachia for the third time.
- 1527 Pope Clemens VII signs treaty with emperor Karel I
- 1580 French Huguenots & Roman Catholics sign peace treaty
- 1648 Pope Innocent X condemns Peace of Westphalia
- 1688 Duke of Savoye signs on to League of Augsburg
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1894 Russian emperor Nicholas II (26) weds Alexandra Feodorovna (22) at the Grand Church of the Winter Palace in St Petersburg, Russia
- 1927 Future Sound of Music matriarch and folk star Maria Augusta Kutschera (22) marries naval captain Georg von Trapp (47) in Salzburg, Austria
- 1977 Congresswoman Shirley Chisholm (53) weds businessman Arthur Hardwick Jr at the Sheraton Inn in Cheektowaga, New York
More Weddings in History
November in History
Theatregoers Still Caught in The MousetrapIt began in 1952 with a fresh-faced young actor called Richard Attenborough in the lead role. Since then, The Mousetrap has smashed all theatrical records.
November 25, 1952
First US Cabinet MeetingGeorge Washington and his Cabinet
November 26, 1791
Artist's 'Rocket' Shot Down in FlamesArtist James Whistler sought £1,000 libel damages from an art critic but was told by a jury on this day that he could whistle for it!
November 26, 1878
Money From The Sky – a Nazi War WeaponAdolf Hitler would have given almost anything to defeat Great Britain – and that is possibly why he sanctioned one of the most bizarre plots to harm his enemy.
November 26, 1904