On This Day in History for November 27
Events in History
- 176 Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius grants his son Commodus the rank of Imperator
- 399 St Anastasius I begins his reign as Catholic Pope
- 1095 Pope Urban II preaches the west to wrestle control of the Holy land from the Seljuk Turks at the Council of Clermont, triggering the First Crusade
- 1237 Battle of Cortenuova: Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II defeats the Second Lombard League
- 1295 English King Edward I calls what later became known as "The Model Parliament" extending the authorities of its representatives
- 1382 Battle of Westrozebeke/Roosebeke. French army defeats the Flemish army. Flemish leader Philip Van Artevelde killed and corpse displayed
- 1493 Christopher Columbus returns to La Navidad colony, finding it destroyed by the 1st native American uprising against Spanish rule. Taíno cacique Caonabo led his people to attack the settlement after the brutal treatment they received from the garrison who disobeyed Columbus's orders.
- 1495 Scottish king James IV receives Perkin Warbeck, pretender to the English trone
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1980 British playwright Harold Pinter (50) marries 2nd wife British writer and historian Antonia Frazer (48)
- 2010 US Navy Seal Marcus Luttrell (25) weds Melanie Juneau in Texas
More Weddings in History
November in History
Artist's 'Rocket' Shot Down in FlamesArtist James Whistler sought £1,000 libel damages from an art critic but was told by a jury on this day that he could whistle for it!
November 26, 1878
Money From The Sky – a Nazi War WeaponAdolf Hitler would have given almost anything to defeat Great Britain – and that is possibly why he sanctioned one of the most bizarre plots to harm his enemy.
November 26, 1904
Horatio Nelson: From Frail Boy to National HeroA 12-year-old boy stepped into a world where many men feared to tread on this day: the harsh and brutal British Navy. He was legend-to-be Horatio Nelson.
November 27, 1770
Portuguese Royal Family Leave for BrazilEmbarkation in Lisbon of the Portuguese Royal Family on their way to Brazil in 1807
November 27, 1807