On This Day in History for November 30
Events in History
- 722 Pope Gregory II names Boniface as missionary bishop
- 1016 Cnut the Great [Canute], King of Denmark, claims the English throne after the death of Edmund 'Ironside'
- 1215 Pope Innocent III closes 4th council of Lateranen
- 1406 Angelo Correr elected Pope Gregory XII
- 1487 The first German Beer Purity Law (Reinheitsgebot), is promulgated in Munich by Albert IV, Duke of Bavaria stating beer should be brewed from only three ingredients – water, malt and hops
- 1523 Amsterdam bans assembly of heretics
- 1554 England reconciles with Pope Julius III
- 1630 16,000 inhabitants of Venice died this month of plague
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1973 Sci-fi author Issac Asimov (53) weds second wife psychoanalyst and Sci-fi author Janet Jeppson (47)
- 1996 Multimillionaire and top-selling female suspense novelist Mary Higgins Clark (67) weds Merrill Lynch Futures retired CEO John Conheeney (67) in Saddle River, New Jersey
More Weddings in History
November in History
Wrong Address for Shakespeare Tourist AttractionMillions of tourists around the world still have souvenirs of the house where William Shakespeare’s mother was born and grew up. Sadly, it’s the wrong house.
November 29, 2000
PongThe original Atari Pong video game upright cabinet
November 29, 1972
Humble Beginnings of Churchill, the Political GiantWinston Churchill, Britain’s legendary wartime Prime Minister was born on this day. Surprisingly the great statesman arrived in this world in a very unusual way.
November 30, 1874
Mask of AgamemnonThe Golden Mask of Agamemnon, found in Tomb V in Mycenae by Heinrich Schliemann in 1876
November 30, 1876