On This Day in History for October 13
Events in History
- 54 Nero succeeds Claudius as Roman Emperor
- 409 Vandals and Alans crossed the Pyrenees and appear in Hispania
- 1213 Battle of Steppes: Hugh Pierrepont, Bishop of Liège & Louis II, Count of Loon defeat Henry I, Duke of Brabant
- 1282 Nichiren Daishonin, founder of the Nichiren School of Buddhism, dies, his ashes are interred at Taisekiji Temple
- 1307 French King Philip IV has Grand Master Jacques de Molay and Knights Templar arrested and charged with idolatry and corruption
- 1399 Henry of Bolingbroke is crowned King Henry IV of England in Westminster Abbey, a few weeks after deposing Richard II
- 1448 First assembly of Catalan dioceses to choose their syndics (representative) to plead abolition of serfdom to King Alfons IV - 1st official recognition of serfs organizing to defend their rights
- 1483 Rabbi Issac Abarbanel starts his exegesis on Bible
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1978 James Earl Ray, assassin of Martin Luther King weds Anna Sandhu
- 2011 Queen consort of Bhutan Jetsun Pema (21) weds Dragon King of Bhutan Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuck (31) at Punakha Dzong in Punakha, Bhutan
More Weddings in History
October in History
Edith Cavell – England’s Heroine NurseWithout fear or favour nurse Edith Cavell tended the wounded in war-torn Europe. She also helped soldiers escape and sadly paid the ultimate price on this day.
October 12, 1915
Copiapó Mine RescueA miner kneels to pray after being rescued from the San Jose mine in Copiapó
October 13, 2010
Grim History of London's Speakers' CornerNowhere in England is the principal of free speech embodied more than at Speakers’ Corner in London’s Hyde Park. But this right was won through death and protest.
October 14, 1855
Hurricane on the Way? Don't WorryA cosy assurance from a BBC weather forecaster for viewers not to worry about an impending storm has gone down as the most spectacular mis-forecast in history.
October 15, 1987