On This Day in History for October 7
Events in History
- 3761 BC The epoch (origin) of the modern Hebrew calendar (Proleptic Julian calendar).
- 336 Pope Saint Mark's death ends his reign as Catholic Pope leaving the papacy vacant
- 1492 Christopher Columbus misses Florida when he changes course
- 1506 Pope Julius II & France occupy Bologna
- 1513 Battle of La Motta: Spanish troops under Ramón de Cardona defeat the Venetians.
- 1520 1st public burning of books in Netherlands, in Louvain
- 1542 Explorer Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo discovers Catalina Island off the coast of California
- 1571 Battle of Lepanto: Holy League of southern European nations formed by Pope Pius V destroy an Ottoman fleet in a significant loss off Western Greece
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1649 Philip IV, King of Spain (44) marries his niece Mariana of Austria (14) in Navalcarnero, Spain
- 1776 Crown Prince Paul of Russia marries Sophie Marie Dorothea of Württemberg.
- 1914 Businessman Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr. (26) weds John F. Fitzgerald's daughter, Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy (24)
More Weddings in History
October in History
Lepanto – The Battle That Saved EuropeThe Christian West was saved from defeat by the Ottoman Turks at the Battle of Lepanto on this day, the most important naval engagement in human history.
October 7, 1571
Far Side of the Moon RevealedThe first ever photo of the far side of the Moon, taken by the Soviet spacecraft Luna 3
October 7, 1959
The Great Stand on the Ugra RiverOn one side of the Ugra River stood the Mongol Golden Horde, on the other, Ivan III, Grand Prince of the rising Muscovy Principality. At stake, everything.
October 8, 1480
Sgt. Alvin York Kills 25 German SoldiersPainting of Sergeant Alvin York firing at the German soldiers in France
October 8, 1918