On This Day in History for September 22
Events in History
- 530 Discorus begins his reign as Catholic anti-Pope
- 530 St Felix IV reign as Catholic Pope ends
- 1236 The Lithuanians and Semigallians defeat the Livonian Brothers of the Sword in Battle of Šiauliai.
- 1499 Switzerland becomes an independent state
- 1504 Settled engagement of Karel of Luxembourg & Claudia the Beaujeu
- 1504 Treaty of Blois signed between Philip of Burgundy, Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I and French King Louis XII
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1794 Physicist Alessandro Volta (49) weds Teresa Peregrini
- 1854 Future railroad magnate Mark Hopkins Jr. marries Mary Sherwood
- 1973 Cartoonist Charles M. Schulz (50) weds Jean Forsyth Clyde
More Weddings in History
September in History
A Sheep's Coat at Sunrise, A Man's Coat at SunsetIs it possible to produce a wearable man’s coat from wool shorn from a sheep the same day? They did it in 1811 and again – in record time – 180 years later.
September 21, 1991
Brainless Jellyfish that SleepsThe Cassiopea jellyfish spends most of its life resting upside down while underwater
September 21, 2017
'I Have Not Yet Begun To Fight'After refusing to surrender, John Paul Jones, the father of the US Navy, achieved a dramatic against-the-odds victory against the British on this day.
September 23, 1779
Little Rock CrisisThe 101st Airborne Division escort the nine black students into Little Rock School in Arkansas
September 23, 1957