On This Day in History for September 4
Events in History
- 422 St Boniface I ends his reign as Catholic Pope
- 476 Romulus Augustulus, last Western Roman Emperor, abdicates after forces led by Odoacer invade Rome. Traditional End of the Western Roman Empire.
- 626 Shimin becomes Emperor Taizong of Tang, Emperor of China, when his father abdicates in his favour
- 925 Aethelstan crowned King of the Anglo Saxons by the Archbishop of Canterbury at Kingston upon Thames
- 1260 Battle at Montaperti, Tuscany, between rival factions the Guelphs and Ghibellines
- 1282 King of Aragon Pedro III annexes Sicily
- 1414 Peace of Atrecht: John the Fearless & Armagnacs
- 1479 King Alfonso I of Portugal recognizes Isabella as queen of Castile
- More Events in History
Weddings in History
- 1834 American abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison (28) weds Helen Eliza Benson (22), in Boston, Massachusetts
- 1930 Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall (21) weds Vivien Burey at First African Baptist Church in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
More Weddings in History
September in History
Sweden Switches to Driving on the Right Hand SideKungsgatan, Stockholm, on Dagen H (switch-over day)
September 3, 1967
Wildlife Warrior Steve Irwin Killed By StingrayIn a tragic accident, highly popular Australian wildlife expert and conservationist Steve Irwin was killed on this day after being attacked by a huge stingray.
September 4, 2006
End of the Western Roman EmpireThe last Western Roman Emperor, Romulus Augustulus, abdicates the crown in favor of the barbarian king Odoacer
September 4, 476 AD
Jesse James – Hero or Cold Killer?Hailed by some as a folk hero and by others as a cold-bloodied killer, Jesse James, one of America’s most infamous outlaws, was born on this day.
September 5, 1847