- Jun 30 English and Dutch fleet begin attack of the Spain fleet moored at Cádiz during the Anglo-Spanish war. Leads also to the looting and burning of the city of Cádiz.
- Jul 5 English fleet under Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex, captures Cadiz
- Jul 17 At 10:30AM Dutch explorer Willem Barents arrives at Novaya Zemlya
- Aug 3 David Fabricius discovers light variation of Mira (1st variable star)
- Aug 9 Henry van Cuyk becomes bishop of Roermond
- Sep 5 Dutch fleet commander Cornelis de Houtman taken hostage in Java, is later ransomed
- Sep 7 Dutch fleet bombards Banten, Java
- Sep 20 Diego de Montemayor founded the city of Monterrey in New Spain.
Oct 19 Spanish galleon San Felipe is shipwrecked in Urado on the Japanese island of Shikoku en route from Manila to Acapulco. Incident leads to the crucifixion of 26 Christians who become known as the Twenty-Six Martyrs of Japan.
- Dec 22 Ferryboat Meuniers crashes in Paris, 150 die