- Mar 31 Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I and King John III Sobieski of Poland sign a covenant against Turkey, beginning of the Holy League
- May 17 Pirates sack Velacruz, New Spain, taking 4,000 prisoners for ransom
Treaty of Interest
Jun 23 William Penn signs friendship treaty with Lenni Lenape indians in Pennsylvania; only treaty "not sworn to, nor broken"
- Jul 16 Manchu/Chinese Qing Dynasty naval forces under commander Shi Lang defeat the Kingdom of Tungning in the Battle of Penghu near the Pescadores Islands.
- Jul 16 Turkish troops under Kara Mustafa reach Vienna
- Jul 24 1st settlers from Germany to US, leave aboard Concord
- Sep 3 Turkish troops break through defense of Vienna
- Sep 6 Le Plecta appointed French minister of Finance
- Sep 9 Expelled Polish & Lotharings reach Wienerwald
- Sep 12 Austro-Ottoman War: Battle of Vienna - several European armies join forces to defeat the Ottoman Empire
- Sep 15 Germantown in Pennsylvania is founded by 13 immigrant families
- Sep 17 Dutch scientist Antonie van Leeuwenhoek is the first to report the existence of bacteria
- Oct 3 The Qing Dynasty naval commander Shi Lang reaches Taiwan (under the Kingdom of Tungning) to receive the formal surrender of Zheng Keshuang and Liu Guoxuan after the Battle of Penghu.
- Oct 6 13 Mennonite families from Germany found Germantown, Philadelphia
- Nov 1 The English crown colony of New York is subdivided into 12 counties.
- Nov 22 Purcell's "Welcome to All the Pleasures" premieres in London
- Dec 25 English Whig leader Duke of Monmouth flees to Holland