- Apr 15 Pocotaligo Massacre triggers the start of the Yamasee War in colonial South Carolina.
- May 1 Prussia declares war on Sweden
- Jun 15 Ottoman army lands at Acrocorinth, beginning their reconquest of the Morea (Peloponnese)
Jul 5 Ottoman troops storm citadel of Acrocorinth in the Peloponnese, massacring a large part of the population and selling the rest into slavery. Inspires Lord Byron's poem "The Siege of Corinth"
- Jul 29 10 Spanish treasure galleons sunk off Florida coast by a hurricane
- Jul 30 Spanish gold and silver fleet disappears off St Lucie, Florida
- Aug 1 First Doggett's Coat and Badge race (Waterman's race) held on Thames River (London Bridge to Chelsea)
- Aug 27 Earl of Mar raises the Jacobite standard at Braemar, Aberdeenshire starting the Jacobite uprising in Scotland
- Nov 13 Battle of Sheriffmuir during Jacobite rebellion. Battle inconclusive but Government forces halt advance of Jacobite army lead by Scottish Earl of Mar
- Nov 15 Barrier Treaty, Austria cedes area to Netherlands
- Nov 24 London's Thames River freezes over
- Nov 25 First English patent granted to an American, for processing corn
- Dec 12 Russian and Prussian troops occupy Stralsund [NS=12/23]
- Dec 22 English pretender to the throne James III lands at Peterhead
- Dec 23 Russian/Prussian troops occupy Stralsund
- Dec 24 Swedish troops occupy Norway