- Jan 7 1st US commercial bank, Bank of North America, opens in Philadelphia
- Jan 15 Robert Morris, Superintendent of Finance, recommends to U.S. Congress establishment of decimal coinage and a national mint
- Mar 8 Gnadenhutten Massacre - Ohio militia kills 90 Native American
- Mar 23 Novel "Les Liaisons dangereuses" (Dangerous Liaisons) by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos is published by Durand Neveu
- Apr 6 Rama I succeeds King Taksin of Siam (modern day Thailand), who is overthrown in a coup d'état
Apr 12 Battle at Les Saintes: British fleet under Admiral George Rodney defeats the French fleet under Comte de Grasse off Dominica in the West Indies. Prevents a planned French and Spanish invasion of Jamaica.
- Jul 6 British-French sea battle at Negapatam (off India)