Events in Music
- Feb 6 Righteous Brothers "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" hits #1
Stop In the Name of Love
Feb 8 Motown Records release The Supremes' single "Stop In the Name of Love"
- Feb 16 "Baker Street" opens at Broadway Theater NYC for 313 performances
Feb 18 Betty Comden & Adolph Green and Jule Styne's musical "Fade Out-Fade In", featuring Carol Burnett, Dick Shawn (replacing Jack Cassidy), and Tina Louise, returns from lay-off at Mark Hellinger Theater, NYC
- Feb 20 Beatles record "That Means A Lot"; unhappy with the results, it was given to P.J. Proby to record, the Beatles version was unreleased until 1996 on "Anthology 2"
- Feb 22 Rodgers & Hammerstein's television musical "Cinderella", starring Lesley Ann Warren and Stuart Damon, with Pat Carroll and Celeste Holm, premieres on CBS-TV
- Feb 24 Beatles begin filming "Help" in Bahamas
Feb 27 Hugh Martin and Timothy Gray's musical "High Spirits", based on Noel Coward's "Blithe Spirit", closes at Alvin Theater, NYC, after 375 performances
Birthdays in Music
Dr. Dre (58 years old)
Feb 18 American rapper & record producer (Still D.R.E., The Next Episode), born in Compton, California
- Feb 22 Dean Karr, American photographer, album cover designer, and music video and television advertisement director, born in Seattle, Washington
- Feb 23 Sylvie Guillem, French ballerina (Royal Ballet), born in Paris, France
- Feb 25 Brian Baker, American punk rock guitarist (Bad Religion), born in Washington, D.C.
- Feb 27 Frank Peter Zimmermann, German violinist, born in Duisburg, West Germany
- Feb 28 Markus Stenz, German conductor (Netherlands Radio Philharmonic, 2012-19), born in Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler, West Germany
Weddings in Music
Feb 11 Beatle drummer Ringo Starr (25) weds British hairdresser Maureen Cox (18) at the Caxton Hall Register Office, London; divorce in 1975
Deaths in Music
Nat King Cole (1919-1965)
Feb 15 American jazz pianist and pop vocalist ("Unforgettable", "Mona Lisa"), dies of cancer at 49