Why Famous: One of the best-selling artists in musical history, Adele was the first female in the history of the Billboard Hot 100 to have three singles in the top 10 at the same time as a lead artist.
She was also the first artist to sell more than 3 million copies of an album in a year in the UK. Her 2011 album, 21, received critical acclaim and was an enormous commercial and cultural success, spawning several chart-topping songs such as "Rolling in the Deep" and "Someone Like You." It was the best-selling album of 2011 and 2012 and one of the best-selling albums in history with 31 million copies sold. Her James Bond theme song "Skyfall" earned her an Academy Award in 2012.
After a three-year hiatus Adele released her third album, 25, which broke further commercial records, became the best-selling album of 2015 and, in the United States, became the fastest-selling album in history. These records and consistent, crossover commercial success have made her one of the best-regarded musical artists of her generation.
- 2010-11-29 "Rolling in the Deep" single is released by Adele (Billboard Song of the Year 2011, Grammy Award for Record of the Year and Song of the Year 2012)
- 2011-01-24 "21" 2nd studio album by Adele is released (Grammy Award for Album of the Year 2012, Brit Award for British Album of the Year, 2011 Billboard Album of the Year)
- 2011-11-20 38th American Music Awards: Adele, Bruno Mars & Taylor Swift win
- 2012-05-20 20th Billboard Music Awards: Adele, 21 win
- 2015-10-23 Adele releases her single "Hello" - becomes 1st song with more than a million downloads in 1st week (1.1m)
- 2015-11-20 "25" 3rd studio album by Adele is released (Grammy Award for Album of the Year 2017, 2016 Billboard Album of the Year)
- 2017-02-12 59th Grammy Awards: Adele wins Best Song "Hello" and Best Album "25"