Full Name: Alphonse Capone
Why Famous: Capone moved to Chicago from New York in the 1920s and dominated the illegal trade in bootlegging, smuggling and prostitution until he was convicted in 1931 of tax evasion.
Settling himself up as a "Robin Hood" figure he had a high public profile and reputation.
It was his alleged participation in the 1929 Saint Valentine's Day gang killings however that eventually turned public opinion against him.
- 1918-12-30 Gangster Al Capone (19) marries Mae Josephine Coughlin, mother of his child
- 1926-09-20 Bugs Moran attempts to assassinate Al Capone in a drive-by shooting but fails
- 1929-02-14 St Valentine's Day Massacre in Chicago, 7 gangsters killed, allegedly on Al Capone's orders
- 1930-06-09 Chicago Tribune reporter Jake Lingle is killed during rush hour at the Illinois Central train station by the Leo Vincent Brothers, allegedly over a $100,000 USD gambling debt owed to Al Capone.
- 1931-06-12 Al Capone is indicted on 5,000 counts of prohibition and perjury
- 1931-10-18 American gangster Al Capone convicted of tax evasion
- 1931-10-24 Gangster Al Capone is sentenced to 11 years for tax evasion
- 1932-05-04 Al Capone enters Atlanta Penitentiary convicted of income tax evasion
- 1939-11-16 Al Capone freed from Alcatraz jail
- 1986-04-21 Geraldo Rivera opens Al Capone's vault on TV & finds nothing
- Al Capone - FBI