Why Famous: Nobel Prize winning author, journalist, and philosopher. His views contributed to the philosophy known as absurdism. Known by generations of students of French for his book 'La Peste' (The Plague).
- 1940-12-03 Nobel Prize winning author Albert Camus (27) weds pianist and mathematician Francine Faure (25) in Lyon, France
- 1948-10-27 Albert Camus' "L'etat de Siege" premieres in Paris
- 1949-12-15 Albert Camus' play "The Just Assassins" ("Les Justes") premieres in Paris
- 1957-10-17 French author Albert Camus awarded Nobel Prize in Literature
- "Too many have dispensed with generosity in order to practice charity."