Full Name: Alec Guinness de Cuffe
Why Famous: Starred in many films, but perhaps most famous for his portrayal of Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Star Wars movies.
- 1938-06-20 British actor Alec Guinness (24) weds actress Merula Sylvia Salaman (23)
- 1955-12-08 Black Ealing comedy "The Ladykillers", directed by Alexander Mackendrick and starring Alec Guinness is released in the UK
- 1957-10-02 "The Bridge on the River Kwai", directed by David Lean and starring William Holden and Alec Guinness, is released (Academy Awards Best Picture 1958)
- 1958-02-22 15th Golden Globes: "The Bridge on the River Kwai", Alec Guinness, & Joanne Woodward win
- 1958-03-26 30th Academy Awards-"The Bridge on the River Kwai" wins Best Picture, Joanne Woodward & Alec Guinness win Best Actress and Best Actor, respectively