Why Famous: Credited with inventing the first practical telephone. He considered his most famous invention an intrusion on his real work as a scientist, however, and refused to have a telephone in his study.
Alexander Graham Bell Patents the Telephone
Telephone Invention Dispute? That Rings a Bell
Mr. Watson come here, I want you
Thomas Edison's Phonograph
- 1877-07-11 Scientist and inventor Alexander Graham Bell (30) weds Mabel Hubbard (19) at the Hubbard estate in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- 1875-06-02 Alexander Graham Bell makes first sound transmission
- 1876-03-07 Alexander Graham Bell receives a patent for the telephone in the US
- 1876-03-10 First telephone call; Alexander Graham Bell says "Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you" to his assistant Thomas Watson
- 1881-01-25 Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell form the Oriental Telephone Company.
- 1915-01-25 Alexander Graham Bell in NY calls Thomas Watson in San Francisco
- Alexander Graham Bell (1847-1922) - Science Hall of Fame, National Library of Scotland