Why Famous: Humboldt's quantitative work on botanical geography laid the foundation for the field of biogeography.
- 1799-06-05 Naturalists Alexander von Humboldt and Aimé Bonpland set sail in the Pizarro from A Coruña and begin their 5 year Latin American expedition
- 1800-11-24 Naturalists Alexander von Humboldt and Aimé Bonpland depart Caracas for Cuba where they met fellow botanist John Fraser
- 1802-01-06 Naturalists Alexander von Humboldt and Aimé Bonpland reach Quito, Ecuador
- 1804-08-03 Naturalist Alexander von Humboldt lands at Bordeaux, France completing his 5 year expedition to Latin America
- 1804-12-07 Naturalist Alexander von Humboldt reports his discovery of the decrease in intensity of Earth's magnetic field from the poles to the equator in a memoir to the Paris Institute