Profession: Banker and Entrepreneur
Why Famous: Giannini founded the Bank of America, and in this position helped to revolutionize the banking sector in America.
He also established one of the first modern trans-national companies and pioneered the holding company structure, while offering banking services to middle-class Americans, which was largely unheard of in his time.
- 1904-10-17 Bank of Italy (Bank of America) opens its doors in San Francisco, founded by Amadeo Giannini
- 1907-08-01 Bank of Italy (later Bank of America) opens 1st branch at 3433 Mission Street, San Francisco
- 1908-08-17 Bank of Italy (now Bank of America) opens new HQ at Clay & Montgomery, San Francisco
- 1920-06-05 1st rivet driven on Bank of Italy headquarters at 1 Powell in San Francisco (later Bank of America)
- 1927-03-01 Bank of Italy (later Bank of America) becomes an American National Bank
- 1930-11-03 Bank of Italy renamed Bank of America
- 1936-01-14 L. M. (Mario) Giannini elected President of Bank of America
- 1941-12-09 300 Montgomery, San Francisco opens as new Bank of America HQ