Profession: Writer & Satirist
Biography: His vehemence as a critic, his motto "Nothing matters", and the sardonic view of human nature that informed his work, all earned him the nickname "Bitter Bierce". He wrote the short story "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" and compiled a satirical lexicon entitled "The Devil's Dictionary".
- 1871-12-25 Writer Ambrose Bierce (29) weds Mary Ellen Day
- 1881-01-01 Ambrose Bierce is appointed editor of "The Wasp" magazine
- 1885-09-11 Ambrose Bierce finishes as editor of The Wasp magazine
- 1913-12-26 Ambrose Bierce’s last known communication, a letter to his close friend Blanche Partington
- "Consultation, noun: The process of soliciting objections to a course of action already decided upon."