Profession: Governor of New York
Biography: A Democratic, Andrew Cuomo was first elected as Governor of the state of New York in 2011. As Governor Cuomo follows in his fathers' footsteps, Mario Cuomo served as Governor of New York 1983-94.
Prior to his tenure as Governor Andrew Cuomo worked as a lawyer and for Bill Clinton's administration within the Department of Housing and Urban Development. In 2006 he was elected New York Attorney General.
- 2020-03-10 New York governor Andrew Cuomo deploys the national guard to New Rochelle after one-mile radius zone established as 108 cases of COVID-19 detected
- 2020-04-13 NY Governor Andrew Cuomo says “I believe the worst is over if we continue to be smart,” about the COVID-19 pandemic in New York as death toll passes 10,000
- 2020-06-24 NY Governor Andrew Cuomo announces people arriving from nine states hard-hit by the COVID-19 pandemic will have to isolate for two weeks
- 2021-03-07 NY Governor Andrew Cuomo says "no way I resign' amid accusations of sexual assault and his office concealing nursing home deaths
- 2021-03-31 New York state legalizes recreational use of marijuana in legislation signed by Governor Andrew Cuomo (sales not legal for 18 months)
- 2021-06-15 NY Governor Andrew Cuomo announces a "return to life as we know it" lifting all COVID-19 restrictions after the state passes 70% vaccinated with one dose
- 2021-08-10 Governor of New York Andrew Cuomo resigns amid a sexual harassment scandal
- 2021-08-24 Kathy Hochul becomes the first female Governor of New York, replacing Andrew Cuomo after his resignation