Biography: Ang Lee's's films are known for exploring the conflict between tradition and the modern world. His early three films, called his "Father Knows Best" trilogy established these themes and examined the tensions between East and West. The last of the trilogy "Eat Drink Man Woman" (1994), a global hit, was like Lee's previous film nominated for Best Foreign Film at the Academy Awards.
"Sense and Sensibility" (1995), Lee's first entirely English language film, based on Jane Austen's book starred Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet established the director in Hollywood. It was nominated for seven Academy Awards and won the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture - Drama.
In 1999 Lee made "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" based on the traditional "wuxia" martial arts genre. Starring Chow Yun-fat and Michelle Yeoh, it was nominated for ten Academy Awards and won the Oscar for Best Foreign Film.
Lee's 2005 "Brokeback Mountain" love story between two Wyoming cowboys played by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal was the most critically acclaimed film of the year. It won Lee his first Academy Award for Best Director, he was the first non-white person to win. Lee would go on the win a second directing Oscar for his fantasy film "Life of Pi" (2012).
Born: October 23, 1954
Birthplace: Chaochou, Pingtung, Republic of China
Age: 68 years old
Generation: Baby Boomer
Chinese Zodiac: Horse
Star Sign: Scorpio
- 2000-09-16 25th Toronto International Film Festival: "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" directed by Ang Lee wins the People's Choice Award
- 2001-02-25 54th British Academy Film Awards (BAFTAs): "Gladiator" Best Film, Ang Lee Best Director
- 2005-08-31 62nd Venice Film Festival: "Brokeback Mountain" directed by Ang Lee wins Golden Lion
- 2005-12-09 "Brokeback Mountain" film released, directed by Ang Lee, starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, based on story by Annie Proulx
- 2006-02-19 59th British Academy Film Awards (BAFTAs): "Brokeback Mountain" Best Film, Ang Lee Best Director
- 2007-08-29 64th Venice Film Festival: "Lust, Caution" directed by Ang Lee wins Golden Lion